Training (incl. Assessment)
Duration Notes: 5 days training + 1 day assessment
Delivery Method: Theory/practical
Prerequisites: Learners are asked to comply with the following requirements:
- It is strongly recommended that operators hold as a minimum a current Emergency First Aid Certificate.
- All chainsaws must comply with Arboriculture and Forestry Advisory Group (AFAG) safety guide 301 in terms of safety features, and be a model and size suitable for the task of maintenance and operation of hand-held chainsaw operations.
- Appropriate PPE must be worn at all times. All PPE used must comply with the AFAG 301, other HSE publications and current legal requirements in terms of specification and use.
*Please download the full Lantra course details here:
DOWNLOAD – Chainsaw Maintenance, Cross-cutting, Felling and Processing Trees up to 380mm
From first cuts to full-on felling our five-day course will teach you all you need to know about using a chainsaw.
This is a hands-on course that delivers both practical skills and health and safety guidance as well as demonstrating that you and your employer have completed sufficient training to meet the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER).
Overview in brief
The chainsaw is the go-to tool across any number of industries, from agriculture to woodland conservation.
It’s a powerful and portable machine, but also a dangerous one that requires regular maintenance.
There are a number of individual courses available to teach you the basics of chainsaw care and use, as well as specific skills such as tree felling and processing.
We’ve combined three of these to produce a comprehensive and intensive course that will save you precious time.
Running over five days, you’ll gain all the knowledge and confidence needed to work with a chainsaw safely and efficiently.
The finer details
Our course is run by experienced instructors working with small groups, so you’ll enjoy plenty of one-on-one training.
You’ll be walked through health and safety rules and regulations and learn maintenance tips and tricks.
Hands-on, practical sessions will then allow you to develop and hone your skills at cross-cutting, tree felling and branch removal.
- HSE legislation and safety guidelines
- Overview of the chainsaw and maintenance equipment
- Maintaining the saw chain
- Maintaining the guide bar
- Power unit maintenance
- Starting the chainsaw and pre-cutting tests
- Cross-cutting timber and felled timber
- Branch removal – snedding and de-limbing
- Take down hung-up trees using hand tools
- Clear site and chainsaw checks.
Who should attend?
This course is for people who are already working in, or are looking to work in one of the following industries: Arboriculture, Forestry, Agriculture, Horticulture, Woodland, Local Authorities, Conservation, Construction, Land-based.
Note: Due to the nature of the training a minimum level of fitness is required for specific operations. Whilst we would not want to disadvantage any learner it is an essential requirement.